Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Bicycles are cool

If you're not American, you might know that bicycles are a highly used transportation system in northern Europe. The bicycle is the favorite transportation in Bruges. To get a bike, you can rent one for fourteen euros or seven euros per month if you're a student. Why bicycles? First of all, everyone uses bicycles. You wouldn't feel the need of getting a bicycle if no one had a bicycle. It is one of the most amazing systems ever. Bicycles are green, cheap and fast. The cool thing about bicycles is that we can get to anywhere quite faster than by walking, by bus and I would say by car: that happens due to bicycle lanes in the entire city (also outside the city) and the bicycle stops everywhere. If there are no bicycle stops, or they are full, we can still park the bike with the bike rest and make sure it is not stolen using the locking system. If you're into helping the environment, bikes are your friends. It's also useful to have some lights at night. Every intersection in which pedestrians, cars or bikes have to choose who's first, usually bikes have priority over all - I'm saying usually because, in bicycle lanes, people stop; when crossing a road, bicycles can cross like pedestrians; and they can also go on the streets. Some roads are one-way for cars; in most of them, bikes can go both ways. I've paid seventy euros for my bike for five months. My bike has lights, horn, a 3-gear system, and a locking system. I enjoy having a bicycle in Bruges. Bicycles are useful to take groceries home and getting to places quicker. Do I have to go to the city center? By foot, I'll take half an hour. By bike? Ten minutes if there is some traffic. I've had a flat tire that I've paid ten euros to fix. Filling your tires are free and can be done at a bicycle store. (Not in gas stations, like in Portugal) I could keep talking about this, but I have some classes... (As of today, every entry will happen once every week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment