Tuesday, September 29, 2015

My thoughts on Erasmus

More than three weeks went by since I got to Bruges. I've had problems and I've had nice experiences. Today, I'll be talking about what I enjoyed this last week, and what it means to me to study abroad, meet people from other countries and to travel.

Study abroad
So far, my classes are amazing. Back in Porto, I was used to some PHP, Java and Android development. Here, at Howest, I'm doing Linux Server code, Internet of Things class using DPT board and Javascript. Also, a Forensic Analysis in which we learn how to check if a machine was compromised on either Linux or Windows, and a different approach to Android machines. The teachers are amazing: classes are taught in English, they are always friendly and looking to help you. There's one teacher that will record the lessons and put them online, so, if you miss a class or you need to rewatch it, you'll be able to.

Next week, I'll be at BruCON, a security conference in Gent (20 minutes train trip), for 2 days. There will be no classes because everyone will be there. (I wish we had something like this in Portugal! Can you think about it for a while? How would people react to this idea?)

Meeting people
Meeting people has been one of the most amazing perks. Being able to talk with people from different countries, different countries and different cultures. I've been around with people from Finland, Lithuania, Netherlands, South Korea, Romania, China, France, Switzerland, Germany, and Belgium. Learning about their cultures really amazes me: people from Netherlands have dinner at 6 pm, beer in Finland cost about €6 each, the number of South Korean students who can speak English, is low. (I wouldn't be able to be here, if I didn't learn English. How can people, in 2015, not learning an almost universal language as English?)
I'm glad I'm doing an exchange program in a country without any Portuguese friends - not that I don't enjoy my friends, but this way, I force myself to talk in English, I don't stick to my habits, and meanwhile, I learn with them. (Gotta leave my comfort zone :) ) However, it is always a pleasure to meet Portuguese people. I've met two Portuguese girls, at a welcoming party in the city hall for international students - I find it quite amusing being with Portuguese-speaking people, and speaking in English so that everyone feels free to join our conversation. (Do an exchange program and go study abroad, this is really amazing!)

Travel to cities and countries
Yesterday, I was planning my first trip to another country while on Erasmus. Being in Belgium really helps when it comes to travelling. From my hometown to Porto, by train, I'd pay 35 euros each trip. Next month, I'm going to Amsterdam and the ticket costs 30 euros for one trip. (I'm still thinking about other places to go. Berlin? Paris? London?)

To end this blog post, I'll leave two videos that are related to the ideas I've shared. The first one, about people who have done Erasmus in Porto (Obrigado Gonçalo!). The second one, in Portuguese, about having fears.



No comments:

Post a Comment